Společnost pro obnovu vesnice a malého města, z.s. (SOVAMM)
Association for the Renewal of the Village
and the Small Town
SOVAMM was founded in 1990 as an association of professionals and those interested in vernacular heritage. The main aims of SOVAMM are:
- the study of rural space and the parts of the countryside (cultural landscape, settlements, buildings) and those activities in the rural space which have influenced its appearance.
- protection and preservation of historic regional diversity, respectively its renewal and saving for the future.
- study of the social and cultural development and the present state of villages and small towns
- study, documentation and help to the protection, preservation and renewal af all values of individual buildings and the whole preserved historic sites including their layout and neighbouring cultural landscape.
- promoting the local social integrity in its social, economic and cultural aspects through the public awareness of the importance of cultural heritage.
SOVAMM has individual members. Those are professional as well as amateurs who are agreed with the programme of the association and who have reached important results in the field of its interest. SOVAMM has tens of members from the whole territory of the Czech Republic.
SOVAMM has been working on several projects supported by grants by the Czech Grant Agency and the Ministry of Culture – for example:
– Atlas of Vernacular Architecture in Czech Republic
– Detailed Survey of architectural and urban Heritage in the Territory of the Nation Park Podyjí – model of the GIS and of the system of urban stability
– Litomyšl and Vysoké Mýto region. Inventory of architectural and urban heritage, documentation and sources, presentation by GIS.
Actually SOVAMM prepares new project SOVPIS. The project is continuation of Atlas of vernacular architecture. The main goal of the project is creation of the spatial information system of vernacular (rural) architecture, including technical entities and settlements SOVPIS, based on the principle of the unique spatial identification of the documentation and list databases records in their linkage with GIS. The main data warehouse of the system will comprise the archive of the digital and digitized documetation of SOVAMM. It will be completed by inventory, survey and recording of the historic constructions and settlements.
SOVAMM also participates in the international research projects on earthen architecture.
SOVAMM is the member of the international nongovernmental organization ECOVAST and of other associations.